One of my monthly goals was to try a new recipe.. I decided to take it a bit more and I am doing a snack and a meal .. SO for the snack i choose No bake Granola bars.. (got the recipe here… http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/09/chewy-no-bake-granola-bars.html )
OOH my goodness they were soo yummy!
I made it part of school so the boys helped..
(due to not reading the entire directions first.. i added the choco chips BEFORE i was supposed to..thus the more choco look)
The only part that had to be “cooked” was the honey and brown sugar..
Needless to say I quickly wrapped each one (after they cooled of course) in wax paper in hopes i would not devor them ALL!:) NO more store bought granola for us.. these will be made again!
Chewy No-Bake Granola Bars
Makes 24 bars (9″x13″ pan)
- 2 ½ cups Rice Krispies (if you want to make these healthier, you can use plain puffed rice cereal)
- 1 ¾ cups quick oats (regular rolled oats work too)
- ¼ cup
wheat germ (or ground flax seed, wheat bran, oradditional oats)
- ½ cup additional mix-in ingredients, optional (i.e. shredded coconut, chopped nuts, raisins or other dried fruit, sesame or sunflower seeds, etc.)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar (or sucanat)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Combine first 4 dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, mix the honey, brown sugar and salt. Over medium-low heat, stir until the mixture comes to a complete boil for 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before mixing in the chocolate chips.
- Press into a greased 9×13 pan and let cool before cutting into bars.
These freeze well!!
let me know if you try them!